The race route starts and ends in the parking lot at the north doors to the church. There will be up to 40 participants, who can register as individuals or family groupings. This is to maintain proper social distancing and preserve everyone’s personal ‘bubble.’ Participants will leave the start line every 3 minutes, from 1:00pm to 1:57pm. Two groups of one or more participants will leave at the same time, heading in opposite directions on the race route. One group will do the route in a clockwise direction and the other in counter-clockwise direction. When participants meet going in the opposite direction, they can safely move to the boulevard or a driveway to pass.
The route is fully covered by sidewalk access for your safe participation, so there is little need to be on the road. When you register as a participant, you will choose your starting direction as well as your preferred start time. The “A” groups will start east on Broadlands, turn north to meet Castlegrove to go west, then turn north on Mission and continue north on Avonwick to Cassandra, turn west on Cassandra to Redwillow, turn south onto Redwillow, turn west onto Doonaree to join Cornerbrook, taking Cornerbrook to the south entrance to the church parking lot and finishing at the north doors. The “B” groups will do the route in the opposite way, starting through the west parking lot of the church before turning onto Cornerbrook and finishing by making their way west on Broadlands.
The route is 5K in length. There will be route marshals at every intersection and road change to keep participants on course. The marshals will also be able to make contact with the start/finish line, should someone on route need help. There will not be any washroom facilities or water stations on route. Please be sure to bring enough water or suitable drinks to get you from start to finish.
- Before registering, you may want to try the route to know if you are comfortable with it and which direction you want to go (see the Route Map above).
- If you choose to enter the event, you must complete the “Registration Form” and agree to the “Event Waiver”. On race day, you will be required to sign the Event Waiver Form in hard copy before starting your run/walk.
- When you register, you will receive an email with the information you provided. If anything needs to be corrected, please contact Gary Norris at email@example.com. You may download and print the route map and as many sponsorship forms as you need. You may also print the event waiver form, but it will come to you by email as part of your registration document.
- You will receive a call to confirm your start time and race direction. We will try to accommodate your preference or provide options as close as possible, based on availability at the time of your registration..
- Registration will close on September 10, 2020.
- We will need the shirt size (men’s sizing – S, M, L, XL, 2X, 3X) for each person in the group. Please read the instructions in the registration form carefully to ensure proper information is received.
- We will need your emergency contact information.
- We will need the name(s) of the people in your group so that certificates of participation can be produced in the name of each person.
- When you register, you can print a sponsorship form for you to sign up friends and family to sponsor you for the event. You can collect cash or cheques from your sponsors. Cheques should be made out to “Jubilee United Church”. We are asking all participants to aim to get a minimum of $200.00 in sponsorships. With 40 participants, that minimum becomes $8,000.00, but our target for the event is $20,000.00.
ON EVENT DAY:
- Arrive at the church about 30 minutes before your start time.
- Proceed to the “A” or “B” registration desk. Race marshals will be available to assist you.
- At the check-in desk, you will get your race package of tshirt(s) and race bib(s). A member of the race committee will hand you the race package with all the shirts and bib numbers that your group needs. They will be wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) for your and their safety.
— There will be pins in the package to enable you to attach the race bib with your race number to the front of the tshirt.
— The same bib number is for the individual or your whole group, depending how you registered.
— You will sign the waiver form provided for you as part of the check-in process.
- When you finish, go to the appropriate “A” or “B” finish line desk so we can record your time.
- Upon completion of your run or walk, there will be a “Goody Bag” for you. It will have a juice drink, an orange, and an energy bar along with a personalized race certificate for each person in your group.
- Medical assistance will be available, should anyone need aid while on the course.
- Nominal prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes will be awarded within those running and those walking.
If it is raining on Saturday, Oct. 3, then we will hold the event on Sunday, October 4 instead. Your start time and race direction will remain the same. This time structure was chosen to allow you to attend church or virtual church and still participate in the event should we need to use the rain date.
- Under Phase 3 reopening, the gathering at an outdoor event in one place can only be 100 people. This is not the year to bring your whole fan club to await your triumphant return to the finish line. We ask that you arrive not more than 30 minutes before your start time. Once you register and await your start time, please gather in groups not more than 10 and keep proper physical distancing.
- We ask that you wear a mask at all times while on church property and require that you wear it inside the church building.
- We suggest that you keep your mask in a position while walking or running that will allow you to properly cover your mouth and nose as you approach others on the route who are either in our event or other members of the community.
- After you finish the event and you have your goody bag and certificate, we ask that you gather in groups of less than 10 on the church property to enjoy your snack and rest.
- Parking will be limited to the west side parking lot area only. Additional parking is available at the plaza across the street.
- Access to washrooms will be through the north doors only and controlled so that only one person or family group is in a washroom at any one time.